1 cup unsalted butter, cold and diced into 1 Tbsp pieces
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 Tbsp nonpareils sprinkles
1. Grease a 13 by 9-inch baking dish and line with 2 sheets of parchment paper (one horizontally and one vertically, leaving a 2-inch over-hang on all sides. (Grease between the parchment sheets so they stick to each other.)
2. In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until well combined. Mix in almond extract. Add flour slowly and mix until combined; at first the mixture will seem dry. Mix in 2 1/2 Tbsp of the sprinkles. Press dough into an even layer in the prepared baking dish. (TIP: Put your hand inside a sandwich bag and push it down by hand. Sprinkle remaining 1 Tbsp of sprinkles over top and lightly press into the dough.
3. Chill the dough in the refrigerator 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees about halfway through the chilling time.
5. Lift dough from pan using the parchment overhang on all sides. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1/2-inch squares. Transfer about 1/3 of the cookies to an unbuttered baking sheet, TIPS: Don't use a cookie sheet liner or parchment paper. Make sure the cookies are about 1/2-inch apart.
6. Bake in preheated oven 8 - 12 minutes (keep the cookies that aren't currently baking refrigerated). Repeat process with remaining cookies, adding them to a cool baking sheet.
7. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.